BSL Shaders 1.20.1, 1.20.2 → 1.20.4 is one of the most popular shaders available for Minecraft, created by Capttatsu back in 2015, with more than 28 million downloads in CurseForge alone. Minecraft shaders are a type of shader pack specifically designed for the popular sandbox video game, Minecraft. When installing and activating a shader pack, players can expect significant upgrades ranging from realistic lighting, and water effects, to sun rays and 3D textures. These packs work thanks to Optifine or Iris, which are optimization and appearance tools available for Minecraft.
What makes BSL Shader so popular are the highly-customizable features and optimization options that add a realistic aesthetic to the game. Are you interested in trying BSL Shaders but you’re unsure of where to start? Here’s what you need to know! In case you’ve already seen the screenshots for this amazing Minecraft shader, Capttatsu has taken a realistic approach to BSL shaders without compromising the game’s iconic visuals. What makes BSL Shaders a favorite of countless players and content creators is the distinct, warm color that overhauls your Minecraft world with brightness and realistic lighting without blinding the player. Let’s look at a brief breakdown of what it has to offer:
The realistic visual effects in BSL Shader must be one of the strongest draw points in this Minecraft shader pack. The warm lighting, water reflections, and particle effects help create a realistic environment that still remains somewhat faithful to the vanilla experience. What’s great about BSL Shaders is how it manages to render water and lava as actual liquids without making them look out of place in the blocky environment!
All of these details combine into a fantastic visual experience for any Minecraft player to enjoy. But is BSL Shaders a good option for low-end PC players as well? While it’s necessary to have a compatible video card to properly render shaders in Minecraft, another drawing point for BSL Shaders is it’s highly customizable settings. Thanks to the available profiles (Low, Medium, High, and Ultra), players with low-end computers can tweak to their leisure to improve their game’s performance. On the other hand, if you’ve invested in a high-end computer, choose the Ultra profile and immerse yourself in a breathtaking experience. On top of its settings, BSL Shader is compatible with countless resource packs available for Minecraft, meaning that you may not need to worry about extra troubleshooting if you do proper research!
BSL Shaders is available for Minecraft 1.20 and older versions down to 1.7.10. While BSL Shaders is available in English by default, players can also download language patches for Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, French, Japanese, Italian, and Russian. As of Jun 8, 2023, Capttatsu has already released an update that makes BSL Shaders compatible with Minecraft 1.20+. This update also makes the shader pack work with Iris, so there’s no excuse not to try out this popular shader pack for yourself!
In search of other shader options? Look no further, as here are some excellent recommendations: Complementary, Sildurs Vibrant, and SEUS. Each of these shader sets offers a unique visual experience, complementing the diverse preferences of Minecraft players.
v8.2.04 by capttatsu
- Block ID mapping for 1.20.
- Added experimental anti-bleeding to multi-colored blocklight, can be disabled.
- Tweaked color calculation for multi-colored blocklight, an option to use the old color is temporarily available.
v8.2.03.1 by capttatsu
- Emergency update, the previous version is falsely flagged as a trojan.
- Fixed handheld emissive emits oversaturated color in multi-colored blocklight.
- Fixed M1 error while running an older version of Minecraft.
v8.2.03 by capttatsu
- Added screen space multi-colored blocklight, experimental.
- Added selective TAA, which removes ghosting from entities, particles, and hand at the cost of reintroducing flickering/shimmering. (Thanks Emin)
- Reduced default bloom radius (from maximum to very high).
- Tweaked light shafts to give much better result on AMD GPUs with odd render resolution.
- Some block ID mapping changes.
- Fixed dithering issue on clouds.
- Fixed water caustics causing artifacts on light shafts.
How to Install BSL Shaders?
We have compiled helpful installation guides to ensure correct installation of this shaderpack in your Minecraft. Follow these guides for a seamless installation experience.
It is strongly advised to create a backup of your Minecraft map before updating the game to new versions to ensure the safety of your progress.
Locate the Folder
Locate your Minecraft installation folder. The default location for the Minecraft folder varies depending on your operating system:
- Windows: %appdata%.minecraft
- Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft
- Linux: ~/.minecraft
Make a Copy
Once you’ve found the Minecraft folder, make a copy of it and paste it into a different location, such as an external drive or a backup folder on your computer.
Save and Restore if Necessary
The copied Minecraft folder will serve as your backup. If anything goes wrong during the mod installation process or if you want to revert to the original state, you can replace the modified Minecraft folder with the backup.
Optifine and Forge require Java to be installed on your computer in order to work properly with Minecraft.
Download the Java installer
Visit the official Java website here: On the website, click on the “Download Java” button.
Run the installer
Once the installer is downloaded, locate the file and double-click on it to run it.
How to install BSL Shaders with Optifine?
Download the appropriate version for your Minecraft.
Once the Optifine file is downloaded, run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions to install it
Download the BSL Shaders pack that is compatible with your Minecraft version.
Launch Minecraft with OptiFine
Open the Minecraft launcher and select the newly installed OptiFine profile to launch the game.
Locate the Shaders option
Once in the game, navigate to the “Options” menu, then select “Video Settings,” and click on “Shaders.”
In the Shaders menu, you’ll find a “shaderpacks” folder button. Copy the downloaded shader pack’s zip file into this folder.
Enable the shader in Minecraft
You should see the installed shader pack listed in the in-game Shaders menu. Select it to enable the shader.
How to install BSL Shaders with Iris & Sodium?
Download the latest version of the Iris installer.
Locate the downloaded Iris Installer and open it.
Choose installation type:
- Iris Install: Select this option if you don’t plan on using any other mods alongside Iris.
- Fabric Install: Opt for this option if you intend to use Iris with Fabric and other mods. The Iris jar files will be copied to the mods folder within the .minecraft directory.
Download the BSL shaders pack that is compatible with your Minecraft version.
Launch the Minecraft launcher. Choose the profile you decided to install in the previous step.
Navigate to Options > Video Settings > Shader Packs within the game.
Drag and Drop
You can directly drag and drop the BSL shaders zip file into the Minecraft window to install a shader pack.
BSL Shaders — Download Links
- Some Shaders have not been appropriately updated to 1.20.1. Still, all have been tested and work correctly in Minecraft 1.20+.
- All download links are original and from the creator himself. We never host or edit any files. We only distribute them as a direct link to our users, ensuring security and quality. If you doubt this, don’t forget to read our Terms.
- It is noteworthy that the links may stop working with each new update. Even with all our efforts to keep everything updated, these things can happen; if any link is not working, please let us know.
- Also check out the list of the best Minecraft Shaders of all time.